Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bumps, Thumps, & Twinges

I'll be 16-weeks in two days and I think there's some movement afoot.  You know the kind of movement I'm talking about; the kind that makes you smile and offers further undeniable proof (besides a heartbeat, of course) that there's a tiny living being inside of your own body.  Yep, I'm talking about fetal movement.

It started a couple of weeks ago.  It was just a random bump or twinge that I could feel here and there every now and then.  It certainly isn't what I remember fetal movement felt like.  After all, I was pretty sure that my son was going to kick his way right out of my abdomen toward the end of that pregnancy and I kinda expected a stronger feeling.  This was a far more subtle sensation and, had I not been resting when I felt it, it's something I easily could have missed.

Unsure if I was feeling fetal movement or just random gas bubbles, I forgot about it.  Until I felt it again.  A soft thump inside that wasn't accompanied by any pain.  I rolled to my back to feel around and clearly felt my fundus (how's that for your word of the day!) a couple of inches below my belly-button and the hard little lump inside my uterus.  I was trying to get baby to give a kick or throw a punch at the pressure of my hand, two things my son would have definitely done, but had no luck so I filed the incident away in my mind in case it happened again.

I've been noticing these bumps, thumps, & twinges for a couple of weeks now.  There is no discernible pattern that I can see other than I only feel them when I'm at rest and able to notice that they've actually happened.  I have been experiencing a bit of gas lately, thanks to that delightful side effect of pregnancy - a sluggish digestive system, but I'm beginning to think that it might be fetal movement that I'm feeling rather than gas bubbles.

I didn't feel any fetal movement with my son until I was well beyond twenty-weeks so this seems ridiculously early to me if I am indeed feeling fetal movement.  What are your thoughts?  When did you first feel fetal movement in your pregnancy(ies)?

2 comments:

  1. I felt my second moving a lot sooner than my first. I don't know if it was just that I was more aware of what that feeling was or if the baby hotel was roomier from the previous guest and allowed for more movement.

    ReplyDelete