Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happiness Tied to Sadness

One of my brother's children is out for a long desired visit.  They had never met before, but I'm pretty sure my son has a new best friend!  The kiddo wakes up and asks if he'll be seeing "cousin" at Grandma & Grandpa's that day.  He had the best fun today while cousin was trying to teach him how to swim.

Watching them play in the pool today was sweet, but it did leave me feeling a tender pang because I wish that my brother had been able to meet my boy.  The age difference between our kids is greater than the age difference that separated us, but I couldn't help thinking that the two of them playing was probably very similar to how we played together in our youth. . .so many years ago.  It's been over ten months and I still miss him so much that I find myself silently crying as I drift off to sleep at least one or two times per week.

Sometimes happiness brings up sadness and that was certainly the case while I was watching our kids today.

No comments:

Post a Comment