Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Do You Primp. . .

for pelvic exams?

While I did have a female physician for around ten years, it's true that I generally prefer male doctors because I've mostly had not-so-good experiences with female physicians.  I would think that females would be more understanding or more gentle and men would be, well, brutish men.  But I've universally found the opposite to be true; the male doctors I've had (save one) have been far more respectful and sensitive than their female counterparts.

My experiences as a patient lead me to prefer male physicians.  Yes, even when I'm looking for an OB/GYN.  Therefore, it might sound odd that I have a routine I follow to prepare for a visit to any doctor who might have to paw around my ladyparts. 

Some of you might think it sounds like I have a weird kink, but I look at is as more of a courtesy.  For example, I wouldn't think of going to the dentist without making sure my mouth is pristine with freshly brushed and flossed teeth.  So why would I expect a gynecologist to dig around in my vagina when I have a 5 o'clock shadow and haven't bathed that day?  Simply put, I think it would be rude and inconsiderate.  All this said, I've often thought it would be hilarious to eat a mouthful of Oreos and see the dentist immediately afterward with all those grainy chocolatey cookie bits up between me teeth. . .

What's my routine?  I do a few things, but my primary concern is to make sure that my legs, hedges, and undercarriage are freshly shaved which means that I've taken a shower the day of the exam.  I might trim the turf up top if I have the time though it's not something that I worry about since that's not the part that is being handled during a gynecological exam.  I make sure that the bottoms of my feet are clean since it would be grody to put dirty feet in the stirrups.  I also remember to shave my underarms and put on deodorant because no one wants to catch a stinky whiff while doing a breast exam. 

My husband seems amused that I have this prep involved before a pelvic exam and he understands the comparison to visiting the dentist.  In any event, I suppose that there's no real primping involved since I just practice what I think is good hygiene before a doctor visit.  I can't be the only woman who does this so do weigh in if you primp for pelvic exams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment