I assumed that I'd sail through any pregnancy after I had my son because I'd done it before. It's funny how each pregnancy is totally different, isn't it? Perhaps it's just that memories fade over time and I can't totally remember what it was like when my son was growing in-utero.
- I am completely surprised by how wiped out I am even in the second trimester. I remember being slammed with first trimester exhaustion with my son, but it seems like my energy came back at some point. Otherwise, how in the world did I put in the hours I did at work when I was pregnant with him?
- I don't remember backaches beginning so early with my son, though my husband says I complained about my back the entire time. I had gained more than twice that amount of weight at 19-weeks when I was pregnant with my son than what I have so far so I'd expect that I had backaches that time around. I still haven't even gained five pounds yet and it makes no sense that my back already hurts.
- I have never eaten as much protein in my entire life! I ate a very balanced diet when I was pregnant with my son and, other than suddenly liking pork, I didn't have any weird cravings. I certainly didn't have any food aversions. I only want to consume animal flesh this time around and it is very difficult for me to force down veggies which is certainly a weird about-face on my normally veggie-heavy diet. I still can't bring myself to consume dairy right now and that's bizarre because I used to go through a gallon of milk each week.
- I never had any spotting and certainly didn't have any outright bleeding when I was pregnant with my son. I've detailed my drama with this pregnancy in this blog so there's no need to revisit that bloody mess.
- My breasts ACHED throughout my entire pregnancy with my son. I can't remember what hurt worse, my back or my boobs. The twins don't exactly feel very touchable at this point and are still sensitive, but I don't think I'd kill someone for copping a feel either.
- I felt baby kicks far earlier this time around, but the baby is significantly more mellow. My son made me feel like I was being beat up from the inside out and so far this baby is more gentle and seems less active. I'll be 19-weeks tomorrow and it's entirely possible that I'm just not feeling all the movement yet.
If you've had more than one baby, how were your pregnancies different?