Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Heliotherapy

On the scale of sun-loving, I fall somewhere between the raisin-faced 20-year old who spends all waking hours at the beach and an albino.  I don't generally go out of my way to soak up the sun's rays, but I don't particularly try to avoid them either.  I was reminded today that there are benefits to getting a little heliotherapy.

I've been in a funk for a couple of weeks.  I normally love to get out and socialize with friends and their toddlers, but it all just seems like too much effort lately.  I feel exhausted just thinking about getting out of the house.  Even taking a shower and getting dressed sometimes feels like too much work. 

I'm in a sour mood and I feel constantly tired.  It's almost like a dark cloud is hanging over me.  I pretty sure that's the reason I feel so dejected.  My son continues to visit our bedroom in the wee hours of the morning, disturbing my slumber, and I know that's why I feel so weary.

I lied to myself for days, saying that tomorrow (or tomorrow, or tomorrow) is the day that I venture out and get on with life.  But I didn't.  It wasn't that I didn't want to, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I wasn't afraid to go out.  I was just too. . .I guess listless is as good a word as any to describe my feelings.

Today was the day that I decided that, no matter what, I was getting out of this house.  So I did.  And I loved it.

My son and I spent a few hours at a local mother's beach today.  We shared the entire beach with only three people for the first hour we were there.  There were only around a dozen people there when we left.  I've never seen such a deserted beach when the weather was so perfect.  It wasn't too hot, too cold, or too windy.  It was a totally perfect day to share with my son.

I indulged my son in his new favorite activity:  playing catch.  We played in the water because he loooves the water.  His lunch consisted of some favorites:  a chicken salad sandwich, red grapes, and even a juice box.  I'm certain that the only way this day could have been better to him would have been if Daddy had been able to join us.

I initially sprayed him down with a little sunscreen and turned him loose.  I gave myself a spritz on the back after about an hour or so.  I'm not a big weirdo about using sunscreen, but I do use it if I'll be out in the sun for hours at a time.  Thank goodness neither of us tend to burn - our son clearly didn't get my husband's skin.  Side note:  Last Summer, I spent 4 or 5 hours at the beach and didn't use sunscreen.  I ended up with a sunburn so bad that my skin actually blistered!  Who even knew that was possible?  Ouch!

I enjoyed myself so much today that I'm very tempted to go to the beach again tomorrow.  I'm convinced that the unrestricted sun exposure did much to improve my mood and increase my energy.  A sunny day often leaves me with a sunny disposition.  It sure did today!

No comments:

Post a Comment