Sunday, July 11, 2010

Big Boy Bed Progress - DERAILED!

It seems to me that much of parenthood is two steps forward followed by one swift kick to the nuts.  I was feeling so encouraged by the progress with the big boy bed.  That is, until 2:30 this morning.

My son SCREAMED for me at 2:30 this morning.  I bolted out of bed and ran to his room, certain that he was being injured somehow.  Bursting through his door, I flipped on his light and found him sitting up in bed with tears streaming down his face.  I ran to his side and picked him up.

He was on fire! 

And he was wet.

I pulled off all of his clothes, sat him on the toilet, and let him finish his business.  Rushing back to his room, I quickly changed his bed.  I ran back to him, cleaned him up, and dressed him in fresh bedclothes.  After giving him a dose of medicine, I brought him to our bed so I could keep a close watch on the poor little guy.

His fever hung around 104 degrees much of the day.  Though he was weak and tired throughout the day, he only fell into a couple of short catnaps while resting his head on my chest.  He hardly ate anything much of the day and didn't want to drink any water at all.  I finally was able to get him to drink a couple of cups of apple juice and a cup of milk.

I'm very thankful to report that his fever finally broke right before dinnertime.  I was able to get him to eat a variety of his favorite foods and an old favorite that mothers like to dish out to their sick children:  banana, cottage cheese, guacamole, and good ol' chicken noodle soup.

After enjoying a lukewarm bath and his two bedtime stories, he willingly went to his big boy bed.  He was cuddling with his beloved Elmo and Curly Squirrel while clutching a fresh burpie.  I haven't heard a peep out of him since he went to bed.

I didn't sleep well last night since I can't sleep very well with him in our bed.  I certainly don't sleep well when my little boy is ill.  Since he didn't nap today, I didn't nap today.  I am completely exhausted and I'm hoping for a quiet and uneventful evening.  Even more than that, I'm hoping that my sweet boy is back to his normal active self by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment