Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Sucktastic Day + A Tasty Recipe

My son and I live very active lives.  We go to parks, playdates, playschool, the zoo, the children's museum, the movies, stroller walks, the beach, swimming at Grandma & Grandpa's house, any number of fun activities.  Unless there is a pressing reason, a really pressing reason, I hate staying home all day with my 2-year old.  Thanks to his reaction to yesterday's vaccines, I stayed home all day today with my sickly 2-year old.

My sweet little boy ran a fever from somewhere between 4:30 am and 7:30 am until around 1:00 pm today.  And he was still limping a little bit for much of the day.  But I'm very thankful to report that he was totally himself by the time he went to bed this evening.

My husband took our son to the potty at 4:30 this morning and put the boy back to his own bed.  He didn't have a fever.  The boy woke again at around 7:30 am and I brought him to my bed because he had a fever.  He fell back to sleep until around 10:00 am.  He still wasn't 100%, so I sat him on the couch and brought him a snack tray to eat in the front room.  A snack tray is just a compartmentalized plate that I fill with stuff like Cheerios, Goldfish crackers, bananas, grapes, olives, just about any finger snacks the kiddo likes.

He sat on the couch much of the morning and only ventured off to sit on his special chair or to use the toilet.  Funny side story, he made a #2 in the toilet and pointed at it when he was pulling up his pants.  "Poo-poo," he said.  I replied that it was indeed.  "Poo-poo tie-tie," he nodded.  Tie-tie means tired, in case you're not up on my toddler's special language.  I laughed and said that poo-poo can't really get tired, but let's flush it away just the same.  Where do they get these funny ideas??

He crawled in the kitchen while I was preparing lunch.  I immediately picked him up and looked at his legs, sure that I'd see some terrible reaction to yesterday's vaccines.  Nope.  The puncture sites looked exactly like I'd expect.  His legs weren't hot to touch and there were no visual signs of problems.

I served him a tuna sandwich with veggie sticks for lunch and he had a pretty good appetite.  A little after lunch I noticed that his fever was gone.  Hooray!  And he totally lost his limp after his nap - his 3 hour nap!  Double hooray!

I prepared pasta tonight for dinner.  Though my son declared that he didn't want pasta, he ate a hearty serving and followed it with a banana and milk.  I'm so thankful that he's back to his regular sweet self! 

I had a lot of odds & ends to make dinner with and here's the pasta I whipped up tonight - no real measurements, just eyeballed:

Whole wheat pasta (reserve 3 cups of cooking water)
1 brown onion, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup shredded carrots
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 can black olives, sliced
2 Tb capers, drained & rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
2 cans tomato paste
Seasonings - don't be stingy with 'em:  Black pepper, salt, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes

Prepare pasta according to package.  I have a pot with a steamer insert and I used that to steam the onion, red bell pepper, carrots, & garlic while the pasta cooked.  Drain pasta, reserving three cups of cooking water.  Mix everything together, adding the water 1/2 cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency.  I ended up using about 2 1/2 cups.  I topped with fresh shredded Parmesan.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment