Sunday, January 24, 2010

Aren't You Going to Write That Down?

I love dining out. Prior to the birth of our son, my husband and I used to dine out several times each week. I find it so satisfying to enjoy a meal that I didn't have to prep, cook, or clean up after. I don't mind the cooking, but I detest prepping and cleaning.

One thing I don't particularly like about dining out is placing my order. I prefer not to ask questions and generally know exactly what I'm having when the waitstaff arrives to take my order. My problem is when waitstaff do not write down the order.

I cringe inside when I notice that they don't have a little notepad in their hands when they come to the table. Though they stare at you and nod their head while you're placing your order, I always spend the wait worrying that they will get my order wrong. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And it frosts me when they get the order wrong after they couldn't be bothered to write it down in the first place.

What's the point of not writing down the order? Do they think that they'll get a bigger tip if I'm impressed with their totally mad memory skills? Is it really hard to write on those little notepads? Is it restaurant policy? I don't know what it is, but I find it aggravating to no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment