Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Favorite Songs

I like writing posts about my favorite things because, well, I like my favorite things and find them very easy to write about. I've been plagued with headaches lately and I don't want to exert too much effort, so I'll stick with my favorites in this post tonight.

I adore music. I love music so much that I'd rather lose my sight than lose my sense of hearing. My tastes are varied in that I like music from a variety of styles and eras. However, I am not a fan of most music that receives airplay on terrestrial radio. As I commented in this blog earlier, I find that "modern music is soulless dreck. Musicianship appears to be a dying art. It appears the most important thing about music today is a good "look" and the sound engineer's ability to manipulate auto-tune. Nowadays, we would never have a famous Joe Walsh, Janis Joplin, CSNY (well, maybe Nash), James Taylor, etc."

Here are my favorite songs, in no particular order:

I Can't Help Falling in Love with You by Elvis Presley - It reminds me of the earliest days of my relationship with my husband. This is "Our Song" and I always get a stupid smile on my face whenever I hear it - even after nearly five years of marriage.

Affair on 8th Avenue by Gordon Lightfoot - Rarely heard and not found on his Greatest Hits, it's beautifully haunting.

I've Got a Name by Jim Croce - My husband reports that this was totally played out on the radio when it came out and, as a result, he still doesn't care for this song. I wasn't born when it came out and I'm not sick of it yet.

Brandi by Looking Glass - A one-hit wonder, but a great song. It's my favorite at karaoke.

Color My World by Chicago - It's short, but sweet.

You're So Vain by Carly Simon - Who is it about? Who friggin' cares, it's a great song. But why are there clouds in her coffee???

Let it Grow by Eric Clapton - Great music, great lyrics. It strikes me as hauntingly sexy, but I'm probably reading a little too hard between the lines.

Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - It's a fun song that reminds me of fun times.

Fire and Rain by James Taylor - I've heard several theories about the meaning of this song. It's moody and it's great, no matter what the meaning.

Nights in White Satin by The Moody Blues - Really, the entire album was fantastic, but this was their orchestral masterpiece.

Volare and That's Amore by Dean Martin - I love Dino and I couldn't just pick one of his songs, so I gave two.

Our House by Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - Beautiful harmonies are found in every CSN song, with or without Y. I like this one because it so sweetly idealizes monogamy.

I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor - What woman hasn't cranked this song and shook her ass around after a breakup?

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Night Fever by The Bee Gees - Both good songs with great harmonies.

Southern Cross by Jimmy Buffett - Yes, it's originally a CSN song, but I like Jimmy's version and he rocks it at concerts. As an interesting side note, the guests at our wedding overwhelmingly chose "Why Don't We Get Drunk & Screw" as the song that they most closely associate with us. Freaking Parrotheads!

California Love by Tupac - Such a fun song & it reminds me of cruising around with my BFF.

Drowning Man by U2 - I think I'm the only person on the planet who knows this song, but I love it.

The Very Thought of You by Billie Holiday - An endlessly romantic classic.


You know, I thought this would be a super-short post with just a few songs. I have at least twenty more songs that I'd like to add to the list, but I'm tired and my head hurts. What about you? I'd love to learn your favorite songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment