Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Couple of Milestones

Milestones are always exciting to me. They break up otherwise typically predictable days and they are solid evidence of growth. Today was a day of milestones!

I love wearing my son. I've worn him since he was a newborn and, though he's a toddler, I still wear him now. My favorite carriers and my favorite carrying positions have changed as my son has grown. My formerly favorite stretchy wrap has long since been retired - at least until the next little one comes along. Front carries (always facing in toward Mama) in soft structured carriers (SSCs) didn't last much longer.

I know most people associate pouches with wearing tiny babies, but I prefer to wear him in a hip carry in a pouch these days. The pouch is remarkably simple to use and I've comfortably worn him in it for hours at a time. I also like the ERGO because back carries are also comfortable when wearing a 25- to 30-pound child. My main problem with the ERGO is that I find it difficult to put him on my back without help. Well, something clicked today and, for the first time ever, I was able to put him in a back carry all by myself!

My son also did something new today. He was asking about the box of goodie bags on our dining room table and I replied that they were for his birthday next month. I asked if he knew how old he was going to be and let him know that he'd be two. He threw his arms up in the air, similar to a prizefighter's victory pose, and shouted, "TWO!" That's a new word for my little guy! When I began to sing the Happy Birthday song, he added in the "cha, cha, cha" at the right spot. That's another first!

No comments:

Post a Comment