Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Am I a Nerd Too?

I was a misfit as a kid and I kinda felt that I'd feel better about myself if I was someone else. That changed when I grew up and I realized that I'm a pretty cool person. Thanks to that realization, I've spent much of my adult life feeling very comfortable in my own skin.

One thing I could never admit is that I'm a bit of a sci-fi nerd. I never thought I was all that into sci-fi, but my husband pointed out that I like just about every sci-fi movie and series. So to my way of thinking that meant that liking sci-fi is pretty damn cool!

I was chatting with my husband about someone we both know and I mentioned that I had just found out that this guy was cool. He asked why I thought this dude was so cool. I replied that I initially thought this guy was a bit of a nerd, but I discovered that he was a big Star Wars fan.

At this, my husband started laughing and asked, "And being into Star Wars means he's not a nerd?! Are you kidding me?!"

Um, I'm really into Star Wars. I've never been to a convention because I'm not a virgin loser, but I am a big Star Wars fan. I just told him the name of the actor who played friggin' Chewbacca the Wookiee for crying out loud. I also know that Wookiee is spelled with two e's at the end. I stood in line for hours to watch Return of the Jedi in the theater. My best weekend ever included watching all six movies back-to-back. So I guess my husband probably thinks I'm a nerd too.

By the way, my husband clearly lives in a glass house because he cried when the original Star Trek was cancelled. Uh, who's the nerd? Yeah, I guess you could say that we're very well matched.

No comments:

Post a Comment