Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Father's Day Feast

It's been a long day, so I'm going to write about the culinary delights that I whipped up for my family on this Father's Day.

I began the day by brewing a pot of coffee.  I've been enjoying mock-mocha lattes lately and today was no exception.  I take 2/3 cup of black coffee, add a teaspoon or two of sugar free hot cocoa mix (today I had suisse mocha instant coffee though), and top off my cup with nonfat milk.  It is so tasty and, though low in WW points, it tastes so decadent!

For breakfast, I served an Egg Pie.  Egg Pie is kind of like a quiche without a crust.  I made it with eggs, cottage cheese, broccoli florets, roasted red pepper, chopped mushrooms, shredded cheddar, shredded Parmesan, and breadcrumbs.  It's colorful and filling.  I particularly like that each serving includes one serving of veggies.  It's low in WW points so it has become my breakfast/brunch staple.  Big Daddy and the little Tater Tot gobbled it up so I'd say it was a hit!

I slacked off on lunch because, well, it's Sunday and I'm fond of dining out each Sunday after church.  Tomorrow I'll probably blog about the topic that hit me while we were listening to the sermon this morning - I took notes so I hope I don't forget!  Anyway, we dined at our favorite little Mexican hole-in-the-wall restaurant.  It's cheap and delicious and the waitstaff loves us and our son.  As is typical, I shared my fish tacos with the little one and he enjoyed nearly a full order of guacamole.

We had my parents over for supper and it was a FEAST!!  We served up grilled top sirloin, sauteed mushrooms & onions (I season with salt, pepper, garlic, and a splash of soy sauce), baked potatoes (with butter, sour cream, chives, bacon, and cheese), green beans almondine, and a tossed green salad with my ranch dressing.  I love to cook, but I am not a baker, so I served fresh cut watermelon for dessert.  Everything tasted so awesome and I think that everyone was more than satisfied.  My Dad said that he has never experienced a bad meal in my home and today was no exception.  I guess you could say that the compliment puffed me up quite a bit!

I think that both my husband and my father were touched that my son picked out their Father's Day cards.  I also let the boy "sign" the cards.  My son also picked out my husband's gifts:  a plaque and a pen that says "#1 Dad."  My father is at the age where he doesn't really need any stuff, so I thought he might want to read the blog post that I made last night.  I felt a little lame to hand him the computer printout, but I realize now that it was the very best gift I could have given him.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. You guys work so hard to provide for your families and you deserve more than just one day each year.  To everyone who reads this blog:  I hope that the fathers in your life are as wonderful to you as my husband and father are to me.  If they are, do let them know how much they are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment