Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day wishes to my Dad and my husband!

I thought I'd share my thoughts on what Father's Day means to me.  To begin, I'll give my definition of "dad."  You see, I don't think just any man deserves that title.  Sure, your biological father may have donated DNA to create you, but that doesn't mean that he's your Dad. 

So who is Dad? 

He's the one who will carry you from the car to the house when you've fallen asleep on the way home.  He'll even generously do this long after you're big enough to wake up and walk in the house on your own.  Heck, my Dad even did this when I was pretending to be asleep.

Dad is the one who works to give you good things.  Dad doesn't shy away from putting in a  hard day of work if it means providing for his family.  He'll even work two jobs, though it means time away from his beloved family, to make sure you have everything you need. 

Dad stays up until the wee hours of the morning on Christmas Eve to assemble that bicycle that you wanted oh so badly.  And how does Dad get thanked for his effort?  With yet another tie, another bottle of aftershave, or another coffee mug.

Dad loves his children so much that he cares to discipline them. You may not like your punishment, but he is just and fair. He is firm, but loving.

Dad will hug you while you cry over the loss of a beloved grandparent.  He is distraught too, but he holds you and calms your sobs.  Your Dad's embrace gives you comfort.

Dad defends his family.  He will bravely investigate any strange noises in the night.  He doesn't hesitate to potentially put himself in harms way to protect those he loves.

Who is this Dad of which I speak?  Well, my own, of course. 

If you have ever heard the song, "Color Him Father" by The Winstons, you have a pretty good idea of how I feel about my Dad.  My mother wasn't widowed with seven children, but it still takes a big-hearted man to marry a woman with three children.  He opened his heart and raised us as though we were his own.  He wasn't our biological father, but he was our Dad.

My Dad has had quite a rough several months.  I was sure that I said a final goodbye at one point and I still thank God that He saved him.  Among other things, I pray for his health (physically, emotionally, mentally, & spiritually) every night and feel very blessed that he's still with us.

* * *

This year my husband and my father will be receiving cards that my son picked out for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment