Thursday, January 6, 2011

All We Need is a Strip Club

We received a notice in the mail yesterday about a business that will be opening around the corner from our house.  I looked at the notice and thought, "There goes the neighborhood."  What type of business is it?  A pawn shop.  A freaking pawn shop.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Pawn shops are legitimate businesses.  Fine, good for them.  I don't care that it makes me a NIMBY; I don't want one in my backyard.

We currently have a smoke shop across the street, a Cash 4 Gold storefront up the street, a seedy bar on the corner, and a pawn shop going in around the corner.  I think I'll begin to refer to this part of town as Santa Ana North. 

I know you're probably thinking that I should complain to the city, but that will do no good.  This house is located on the extreme West side of town and we are basically surrounded by a neighboring city.  The same neighboring city that is allowing all these undesirable businesses to operate within a stones throw of where my son plays.  Great.

The city I do live in has recently been taken to task for not building enough "low-income housing" so naturally they want to place all state-mandated units on this end of town.  If I didn't live here, I'd say stick them over here too.  Heavens knows that the good people on the East side of town wouldn't want that riff-raff to breathe their rarefied air.  All we need is a head shop and a strip club and the slummification will be complete. 

My husband has lived here since 1981 and he can't believe what has happened to this neighborhood in that time.  Perhaps we should get out while the getting is relatively good. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment