Easy enough to serve family on a weeknight, but pretty enough to serve to guests. This is also the rare recipe that I only use a partial amount of an ingredient.
2 8 oz. packages of mushrooms
1/2 of one brown onion
1 brick of cream cheese, softened
Salt & pepper to taste
Shredded parmesean cheese (not the powdered kind)
1. Wash mushrooms and thoroughly drain.
2. Gently pull stem and cut off tough end.
3. Throw stems in food processor and pulse until finely minced.
4. Remove minced stems to non-stick pan.
5. Roughly chop the 1/2 of one brown onion.
6. Throw onion in food processor and pulse until finely minced.
7. Remove minced onion to non-stick pan with the mushroom stems.
8. Add small amount of oil (2 to 3 Tb or so) and turn heat to Medium-High.
9. Cook until onions are translucent.
10. Begin to preheat oven to 350 degrees.
11. Remove mushroom-onion mixture to a bowl and add softened cream cheese.
12. Mix well and add salt & pepper to taste.
13. Stuff each mushroom with the mixture and put on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Sometimes you have extra and that's okay - see end of recipe to get a couple of ideas for this extra mixture.
14. Place mushrooms in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
15. Remove mushrooms from oven and sprinkle each with a pinch of shredded parmesan.
16. Return mushrooms to oven for ten more minutes of cooking time.
If you have extra filling, don't throw it away because you can do a couple of things with it. You can put it in a baking dish, bake it with the mushrooms, and serve it as a dip. You can also put it in the fridge for a day or so and use it to stuff some more mushrooms!