Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Favorite Bee Gees Video Clips

The Bee Gees are most often associated with a certain dance music of the late-70s, but they created some breathtakingly beautiful music long before the advent of Disco.  Of course, I was just a kid when disco was popular (the first time around) so I don't share the hate that many music lovers from the era feel for that particular style of music.  Here are a few of my favorite Bee Gees songs, disco or otherwise.

I have to confess something: I watched this clip of Stayin' Alive three times in a row because I was practically drooling over Barry Gibb.  How sucky that Robin and Maurice had to stand next to this fine specimen of late-70s sexiness.  That lion's mane, his fuzzy face, those skinny hips. . .oh my!

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart is one of my all-time favorite songs and this is a damn-near perfect live performance of the song.

I'm pretty sure that everyone can relate to the chorus of To Love Somebody.   And, if you can't, consider yourself lucky.

Too Much Heaven really lets their wonderful harmonies sparkle.  I read on Wiki that they donated their earnings from this song to UNICEF and it has yielded more than $11 million for the charity.

Another one of my all-time favorite songs is Night Fever.  I was surprised to see a Disco-era Barry without his face of fuzz in this video.

I've Got to Get A Message To You was written by Maurice or Robin after a fight with wifey.  Uh, listen to the lyrics and tell me if you think maybe wifey was like, "Say WHAT?!"

I'm not normally a fan of covers, but I do like A Day in the Life and most of the other songs from the utterly craptastic Sgt.Pepper's movie starring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton.

The song One is the last Bee Gees hit I can think of off the top of my head and I think it came out in the very early 90s.  These guys had an awesome career that spanned over 40-years!

* * *

Technically these aren't "Bee Gees" songs, but they either sang back up or wrote the songs so I'm including them in this post.

Emotion by Samantha Sang has enough of the Gibb's voices that it darn near is one of their songs.  Besides providing awesome backup vocals, Barry and Robin wrote the song. 

Barry had a well-received collaboration with Barbara Streisand over 30-years ago (and I think they had another around five years ago?), but Guilty, Woman in Love, are my clear favorites.  I also like this clip of What Kind of Fool because, you've got to admit that Barry found his "look" and he works it.  I almost didn't include this clip of Guilty because it makes no friggin' sense, but the song is great so whatever.

Barry wrote the song Grease, but Frankie Valli sang the song for the movie of the same name.

* * *

Okay, enough of my musical nostalgia.  I'm going for an easy post tomorrow.  Hopefully one that doesn't require a ton of time clicking through youtube!

No comments:

Post a Comment