Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm Very Flexible

Chill out, perverts, this isn't a sexy post.

Someone (I'm not mentioning any names, but it was my fault!) forgot to pick up a brisket so I couldn't serve corned beef and cabbage tonight.  I usually serve this meal with potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions every St. Patrick's Day so I was sad to break with my tradition.  However, I'm flexible and I like to cook so I started thinking outside the box.

I pawed through my pantry and fridge and swear that I saw a tumbleweed blow through my kitchen.  We're looking to move within the next several weeks so I haven't been doing a lot of stocking up at the grocery store, Costco, or Sam's Club lately.  I've been specifically working through our non-perishables so that I won't have to pack up, move, and unpack a fully-stocked kitchen pantry.

I had a carton of instant potato granules in the pantry, a brown onion in my hanging veggie basket, and a bunch of curly leaf kale & some carrots in my vegetable crisper.  All the ingredients to make a delicious colcannon.  Awesome!  I also had a bag of frozen mixed veggies; great!  The entree gave me cause to pause because it appeared that all I had were some fish sticks, one chicken breast, and a couple of cans of tuna fish.  I grabbed the tuna, wondering if sandwiches would be too lame, and then noticed that I had two cans of salmon next to it.  All I needed was a couple of eggs and some breadcrumbs and we'd be grubbing on salmon patties for supper.  Jackpot! 

Mixed veggies, colcannon, and salmon patties. . .sounds like a perfectly acceptable and festive St. Patty's day meal to me and it certainly was tasty!

* * *

A couple of funny notes about my dinner preparation this evening:

~ My son noticed that I pulled out the instant potato granules and he pointed saying, "Mashed potatoes."  Yeah, yeah, so I love to cook and all that, but that doesn't mean that I want to waste my time if no one notices my efforts.  No one in my house gives a rip if I peel, chop, boil, and mash actual potatoes or if I whip up some instant taters so I choose to serve up the easiest option.

~ When I pulled the bunch of kale out of the refrigerator, my son pointed and exclaimed, "KALE!!"  Then he added, "I love kale."  I love kale too and I thought, "That's my boy!!"  I shared this vignette with my husband and he shook his head while saying, "You two are a couple of hippies."

No comments:

Post a Comment