Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Heart is a True Measure of Character

Perhaps I'm idealistic or impossibly naive, but I believe that the condition of the heart the best way to measure a person.  I know this runs counter to what the media likes to suggest and I say that the media is flat out wrong.  The heart is certainly more important than appearances, wealth, or position when it comes to determining personal character.

If you know me at all, you know that I really don't give a rip about your zip code, your car, your clothes, or anything material.  I guess I don't care because all of those things are fleeting and they can all be gone tomorrow.  But your character, well, that's who you really are.  Strip away all the baubles and trappings of modern life and your heart broadcasts your true character to the rest of the world.

I know that I have been slipping.  My own heart was getting ugly and I was having very unkind thoughts about quite a few people.  I need to remember that even those who give me their worst and their ugliest behavior (and there have been some major freaking offenders lately!) deserve better than what I was giving them.  Of course, some people are just dead to me and they get nothing.  No love and no concern, but also no bitterness or anger. . .just nothing. 

It's the people who you don't want to or can't write off who are more tricky to handle.  I should probably let them hold their uncharitable beliefs because it shouldn't be my concern.  But, as the old saying goes, I try to kill 'em with kindness.  Assuming that they are judging me based on my character, I can't change someone's mind about me unless it is through my actions.

Unfortunately, many people in this world are caught up on appearances or prejudices.  I've been pondering this group all afternoon.  They are, by far, the most difficult to handle.  I've concluded that some people just won't like me no matter what I do and I'm content to let them ugly up their own heart because it's not my problem.  I'm at the point in my life that I'm very comfortable in my own skin and I have zero interest in putting on airs.

So who am I?  I'm generous, kind-hearted, and faithful.  I believe in supporting specific charities.  I'll do anything to help someone in need.  I like giving gifts.  I bring meals to new mothers.  I offer help when friends are worn down.  I'm a cheerful giver.  I'm a warrior for those who need prayer.  I weep with you when you're hurting and I laugh with you when you're soaring.  My family and friends are my most important blessings and I'm thankful for them every single day. 

If someone doesn't like me, well, that's their problem because the people who matter to me absolutely love me and know the condition of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment