Monday, August 23, 2010

Manwich Can Suck It - Sloppy Joe Recipe

As I've mentioned countless times previously, I like to cook.  I just can't stand following recipes.  I've heard that this is why my baking always ends up so terrible.  But this is also why my meals are always a home run for my family.  I might check out a recipe to get a little inspiration, but I always tailor it to suit my family's taste preferences.  Case in point, the sloppy joes I made this weekend. 

I can't remember the last time I had sloppy joes, but I'd guess it has been several years.  I had a some ground turkey in the fridge and I received a sloppy joe recipe in my in-box, so I decided to serve the tasty sandwiches for supper.  I'm claiming this recipe as my own since I changed most of the original recipe. 

Sloppy Joes
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
2/3 cup ketchup
2 1/2 Tb Worcestershire sauce
2 Tb spicy brown mustard
2 Tb chili powder
2 Tb onion powder
1 Tb granulated garlic
1 Tb brown sugar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
A hefty shake of crushed red pepper flakes
Salt & ground black pepper to taste

Cook the ground turkey.  Add in all other ingredients and mix well.  Let mixture continue to cook on LOW for about 20 minutes.  Serve on buns with your choice of side dishes.


I served these up on whole wheat buns and my spice-loving family really seemed to like the end result.  I added steamed lemon-pepper broccoli, a baked potato, and a green salad to round out the meal.  This entire menu took less than 30-minutes to prepare, so it's pretty handy to have on those nights that I don't have dinner going in the crock-pot.  I don't know how often I'll make this meal, but I do like having a recipe to make instead of just buying Manwich at the store.  If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment