Thursday, October 28, 2010

This is Sirius

Yes, the title of this post is a Wonder Pets reference.

I was overcome by tears when I was driving home yesterday afternoon.  I was listening to The Bridge on Sirius and I was hit by a double-whammy of sad songs that made me long for my brother.  I had been having a few really good days so I guess I was due to get upset over something as random as songs on the radio.

Though it is about two lovers, the opening lines of Jim Croce's Photographs and Memories immediately brought tears to my eyes:

"Photographs and memories
Christmas cards you sent to me
All that I have are these
To remember you

Memories that come at night
Take me to another time
Back to a happier day"

The rest of the lyrics are heartfelt and touching, but they don't really fit a sibling relationship.  Jim Croce really knew how to write a song to stir up emotions in the listener.  I'm glad that he was alive and recording back when your looks weren't the most important thing in the music industry or he probably never would have made a single album.

The second song that continued my downward spiral was Carol King's So Far Away.  Everyone probably knows the words to this song, but this part made me bawl like a little baby:

"You're so far away
Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
It would be so fine to see your face at my door
And it doesn't help to know that you're so far away"

The 70s may have been a crappy decade for a few reasons (stagflation, fashion, and energy problems), but it truly produced some of the finest songwriting and musical collaborations.  Not sure what I mean on that last bit?  Check out who played guitar on So Far Away for a perfect example.

No comments:

Post a Comment