Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Favorite Religious Christmas Carols

As is typical on days that my energy is drained, here's a list of favorites.  This time it's my favorite religious Christmas Carols.  Did your favorite make my list?

O Holy Night - This might sound pretentious, but I like Luciano Pavarotti's rendition above all others.
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen -I'm partial to Nat King Cole's version.
O Come, O Come, Emmanuel - I really like the way my church's praise band does this song; it actually gives me chills.
What Child Is This? - The melody is "Greensleeves" and it's very recognizable.
Angels We Have Heard On High - Don't think you know this song?  Here, let me refresh your memory with the most well-known part of the song:  Glororororororororororororia In excelsis Deo (repeat)
Hark!  The Herald Angels Sing! - What Christian can possibly argue with this part:  "Born that man no more may die.  Born to raise the sons of earth; Born to give them second birth."
Go Tell It On the Mountain - Every gospel choir I've ever heard just knocks this one out of the park.
O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles) - Yes, I like it in either English or Latin.
Do You Hear What I Hear - At the risk of sounding like a total puss, I usually tear up at not one, but two parts of this song.
Joy to the World - An unabashedly upbeat and happy song proclaiming the Savior's birth.
Silent Night - The peaceful image of a mother snuggling with her tiny infant. . .every mother can relate to this touching thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment