Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Weird and Not So Weird Pregnancy Symptoms

I'm rolling into my eighth-week of pregnancy and I'm a little surprised by the symptoms I already have.

Dry eyes - I haven't been able to wear my contact lenses in weeks because my eyes are impossibly dry.  I find it strange that it's a pregnancy thing, but these hormones do some crazy things.
Dry skin - I haven't gained any weight yet, but the skin on my abdomen and my thighs already feels unbearably itchy.  I sometimes wake up scratching at myself.  I didn't get any stretch marks with my son (except on what became my ginormous boobs), but I'm pretty sure that I won't be so lucky this time.
Growing boobs - I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have gone up a full cup size in a little less than two weeks.  That might be awesome if it weren't for the symptom below.
Breast pain - It's nowhere near as painful as it was when I was pregnant with my son, but my breasts are so sensitive that I've been wearing a sports bra 24/7 to keep the twins from moving around too much.  I had forgotten just how heavy boobs feel hanging off your chest.
Leukorrhea - After my spotting scares, I find myself running to the restroom on a regular basis to make sure the squishy feeling down below isn't blood.  Nope, it's just good ol' pregnancy-induced leukorrhea.  Ordinarily I wouldn't complain about being wet downstairs and I'd take advantage of the natural lube, but I'm not exactly interested in hitting the sheets at the moment. . .unless it's quite literally to go to bed.
Food aversions & nausea - Turkey, coffee, and a certain type of coffee creamer leave me with my head in a toilet.  Even something as innocent as milk is creeping me out; I can't help it, I keep thinking that there might be pus in the milk.  Ewww!  Other strong smells (hairspray and the dog's food in particular) are equally difficult for me to handle.  I also find that my morning sickness hits me hardest in the middle of the night, which leads to the next symptom.
Exhaustion - I go back and forth on this one.  Sometimes I'm a whirlwind of frenzied activity and others I'm practically passing out on the couch.  Naturally, it's far worse the day after a long night of nausea.

Almost eight-weeks down and thirty-two to go!  I hope I'm getting all my pregnancy related discomfort out of the way early, but I realize the discomforts will only increase as I approach the end of my final pregnancy.  Since this will be our last baby and we tried so long to get it, I'm really trying hard not to complain.  But, come on, nothing makes a woman bitch and moan more than discussing pregnancy and childbirth!

No comments:

Post a Comment