Monday, December 13, 2010

Long Day, Early Bedtime

My son and I went out this morning for the first time in over a week.  Being cooped up for such a long time left me feeling dry and tired, but the companionship of great friends refreshed my spirit.  My son had a wonderful time and even said that he had a good time with his friends ("good time friends") as we were driving home.

And then the day fell apart.

I was exhausted after my first excursion out of the house and, of all days to have this happen, my son would not nap.  WOULD NOT NAP.  None of my standard get-the-boy-to-go-to-sleep tricks didn't work.  Returning him to bed didn't work.  Taking away toys didn't work.  Begging him to go to sleep didn't work.  Nothing worked and I finally just gave up after an hour of attempting to get a nap for myself and we sat in the living room.

That's when I started feeling ill.  I don't mean that I was catching a cold.  No, I'm talking about the so-called morning sickness that apparently can strike at any moment during the day.  I curled up on the couch, willing myself not to vomit, and my son decided that he wanted to nap.  Against my throat.  Have I ever mentioned that excess pressure against my throat often triggers my gag reflex?  Yeah, that's just one reason why turtlenecks aren't my favorite type of clothing.

I pushed him away as gently as I could and then he started bouncing on the couch.  Bouncing!  Bouncing!  Bouncing!  He knows he's not allowed to bounce and flop on furniture so naturally he does it when I'm about to toss my cookies.  Imagine feeling sick to your stomach and then sitting in a bounce house that's filled with people jumping around.  That's pretty much what this felt like. 

I calmly exited the living room and decided to lie down on his bed.  He followed me.  You can imagine how this tale ends, right?

After a couple of rough hours, my queasiness eased up enough that I was able to make dinner for the two of us.  Thankfully, he ate it without complaint.  He did, however, smear mashed potatoes in his hair.  I stared at his hair treatment and considered letting the dog lick it out, but ultimately decided that a bath was in order.  He went right to bed tonight and I think I need to follow suit!

No comments:

Post a Comment