Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Hate Cleaning For Nothing

After putting it off as long as possible, I finally got off my lazy ass and cleaned my house this morning. I did it all: toilets, sinks, dusting, sweeping, mopping. I was a busy mama and I whipped this house into shape with my cleaning frenzy. Everything is put away and everything sparkles. It wasn't that I wanted to clean, I felt that I had to because I planned on having a couple of friends over this afternoon and I planned on having some friends and their kids over for a tasty meatloaf supper on Saturday.

You know what they say about the best-laid plans, right? Who are they anyway? And how do they always know what's going to happen?

I was getting ready to walk out the door at around 10:00 this morning when I noticed that my son had a runny nose. He didn't seem sick and his nasal drippings were thin and clear, but I did the right thing and notified our friends that he had a runny nose. Of course, no one wants to let their kids hang out with a potentially sick kid. I decided to fool around on the computer and received an e-mail from our dinner company for Saturday. They had to back out of our plans because their oldest woke up sick this morning.

I realize that I should just be pleased with a nice & clean house, but I feel like I did all that cleaning for nothing. Seriously. My husband doesn't care if the house is clean and I don't think he notices if I've slacked off the housework for a couple of weeks. Er, not that I would. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Messiness and clutter are distracting and put me on edge. It bothers me to see spots on the floor or to notice dust on a shelf. And don't get me started on dishes left in the sink or dirty clothes left on the floor! Even if no one gets to enjoy it, I have appreciated that the house has a much more calm and relaxing feel than it did before I began my mission. Of course, it will already begin falling apart by tomorrow morning and it will need cleaning all over again by Sunday. No matter how much you clean, you always end up cleaning again.

Oh, and my son's drippy nose stopped by noon. Hooray for not having a sick kid!

1 comment:

  1. I completely sympathize. Every time I clean my house I try to have someone over as soon as possible so they can witness it! I wish I could just be satisfied with a job well done, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

    ReplyDelete