Friday, February 5, 2010

I Might be a Convert

WARNING - WARNING - WARNING: After taking a day off, I'm back to what has become my regularly scheduled postings about Aunt Flo. If you haven't been following my vagina's adventures with the Diva Cup, you should probably stop reading right now. I do believe this will be my last post in the series chronicling the battle.


I might have to rethink my desires about the birth of my next child. I think I would like a completely drug-free vaginal birth. I've thought about it so much that it is quite romanticized in my mind. The joy of letting my body take the lead in a natural delivery. The pleasure of allowing my newborn to suckle colostrum right after being welcomed into the world. The happiness I would feel if I can avoid another surgical delivery. Since I was denied my desires when my son was born, I imagine that a drug-free birth would be the very best experience I could ever hope to have.

But if I can hardly handle a 1" diameter silicone cup, how in the heck will I manage a head with a circumference of 14-centimeters? And I don't even know if that's considered a big head or not! For all I know, that might be considered tiny.

I'm on Day 4 with the Diva Cup. I wouldn't say that I love it, but I've definitely warmed up to it a little. I even forgot that I was on my period today. Insertion and removal aren't exactly easy, but they are easier than they were on Day 1. I think I'm figuring out which techniques I like best.

I smugly walked by the feminine aisle in the drugstore today. I got really excited when I realized that the Diva Cup will have paid for itself if I can manage to use it for five cycles. I love that I haven't had to frantically search for tampons this month. I have particularly enjoyed not having to fuss with my period at all with all the hours I've spent at the hospital these last few days.

I can't recommend this product to everyone because some women might be a little squeamish about how it's used. But if you can handle your own vagina and you hate throwing money away each month, this might be something you should consider. The Diva Cup - I'm not completely a fan yet, but I'm getting there.

4 comments:

  1. Just kick back and relax... the Diva Cup is our friend if you can RELAX! So glad you are warming up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vagina is my friend! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diva Cup...never heard of it. Tell me more. I hate tampons but refuse to wear pads. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey - Pads suck x 10 and tampons are a pain to deal with each month. I felt so much better about using the Diva Cup by the end of this last period. The first few days were tough though and I wondered if I was making a big mistake. I hope that I won't have the same problems with it on my next cycle. I've never experienced labor, cervical dilation, or vaginal delivery and I think that my Size 2 is just a little too big for me so that could be causing my problems.

    Anyway, the Diva Cup is a reusable silcone cup that is designed to be worn inside your body. It can be used (reused) for a year or more. It does not absorb your menstrual fluid, it is held in the Cup. If it's in there right, you will never notice that you're on your period. Imagine not having to fuss with finding a discreet way to cart tampons to the bathroom while at work. . .I seriously wish that I tried this years ago.

    You can wear it for up to 12-hours (I change it at 7:00 am and 7:00 pm), but you do need to wash it prior to reinsertion. By the way, make life easier on yourself and do one of the changes while in the shower so it's easy to clean up if you have problems. I didn't buy the special Diva Cup wash, I just use my son's bath wash because it is so mild & gentle. I bought the Diva Cup on Amazon and was able to score free shipping since I also bought the Instead disposable cups.

    I think the Instead cups are FAR more comfortable at first (a lot like a diaphragm), but they are disposable and you won't really save much money by using them. I've come to the conclusion that the Diva has a learning curve of at least one cycle. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like more info.

    Also, you can have "clean" sex if you are wearing an Instead while on your period. You can't have sex with a Diva Cup in your hoo-haw.

    ReplyDelete