Monday, February 8, 2010

Is There Such a Thing As Too Much Sleep?

My son wasn't always a good sleeper.

He has always been a light sleeper and wakes easily; I don't think he'd be able to sleep a wink if we didn't have a sound machine running all night in his room. He used to nurse every 1 1/2 hours for the first five months of his life. He absolutely could not nap alone in his own bed until he was around nine months old; he slept on my chest for every nap or he didn't nap at all. I can count on my fingers the amount of times that he has fallen asleep in the car.

He has become a super-sleeper.

He typically goes to bed at 7:00 pm and wakes at 7:00 am. He has been sleeping these twelve-hours for well over a year. He has only recently dropped his morning nap, but he'll still take a three hour nap in the afternoon.

Lately his sleeping habits have changed. He'll sleep anywhere from 13- to 15-hours each night. His three hour nap sometimes lasts for four hours. I appreciate the quiet, but all this sleeping makes me miss my little guy.

I know a lot of parents who struggle with sleep problems and, goodness knows, I've been there, but I'm starting to wonder if I should try to limit his sleep. How much sleep is too much sleep? Is there such a thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment