Monday, February 22, 2010

Mama + Migraine = Miserable

I felt poorly when I went to bed last night. My stomach hurt and I had the beginning of a headache. As is typical, I tossed and turned for about 90 minutes before falling asleep. I woke in the middle of the night and took a couple of aspirin. I woke this morning with a dull headache. I took a more aspirin and we started our very busy morning.

I felt pretty good by around 11:00 when we arrived at the mall to meetup with some friends. Then I smelled it. The offensive stink of cheap men's cologne was hanging in the air, assaulting me. My head exploded. I could feel my pulse beating by barely touching my temples. I continued pushing the stroller forward, willing the pain to abate. I sat down for a few minutes and chatted quietly with a friend and I felt a little better. We strolled the mall for a little more than an hour and, though my head pounded harder each time we passed a highly perfumed shop, it was so nice to visit with friends.

By the time I got home, the throbbing headache was back in full force. I reheated some leftovers for lunch and took a couple more aspirin. My son thankfully told me he was tired ("tie, tie") shortly after lunch and I seized the opportunity to rest. The light coming through the window bothered me, but I covered up my eyes and held my head. I ended up falling asleep for nearly two hours.

My husband asked me why I didn't take my migraine pills when I started feeling so terrible. I told him that I didn't think it was a migraine because I was able to go about my day. I've since wondered if I was wrong. Lights and smells bothered me - perhaps even triggering the headache. My head throbbed with a ferocious intensity. Bending over to pick something off the floor resulted in blinding pain. All I could think of doing is curling up on the bed and covering my eyes. Yeah, it does sound like a migraine.

I suffered with a week of migraine pain when my son was about six-weeks old. It was, quite possibly, the worst week of my life. I couldn't form sentences one morning. I lost the vision in one eye for nearly an entire day and my vision was not good in my other eye. I totally thought that I might have been stroking out. But, no, it was a migraine and it was miserable to this mama.

If I did have a migraine today, I'm impressed that I handled it so well and pleased that it went away so quickly. I'm also perplexed why I didn't get an aura as I usually do when a migraine hits. I guess all migraines don't necessarily have the same symptoms, but aura is usually my clue that it's coming and to get home and take some Midrin fast.

Whatever kind of headache it was, I'm just glad that it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment