Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Preparing for Weight Loss

Yesterday, I shared how I gained back nearly all of my pregnancy weight, now I'm going to share how I'm preparing to lose it.


- I have told my friends and family that I am going to be embarking on a weight loss journey. My husband is even on-board to lose some weight of his own. I know that I will be better able to succeed if I have the support and encouragement of friends and family. Also, it helps keep me accountable.

- I have tucked away or thrown away my "trigger foods." Trigger foods are those which you consistently overeat/overdrink. That means wine is going in the fridge in the laundry room rather than the fridge in the kitchen. It also means that I do not have a single potato chip or chocolate bar in my house. I do have crackers, but they are for my son. . .I will really have to stop myself from taking his snacks because I like them too. My husband tends to eat a lot of peanuts and I specifically did not pick up any today at the store.

- I have started reading nutritional labels and calculating the Weight Watchers Point value prior to purchasing any foodstuffs. I have started writing the Point value on foods that we already have in the house.

- I have purchased high-fiber, low-fat bread and tortillas. I don't eat these things often, but my husband does and I want to help encourage his success.

- I have purchased plenty of fresh and frozen produce. I have already made up my first batch of WW zero point soup. It would taste better with a bit of beef, but it's plenty satisfying if we're craving a snack.

- I have mixed up my favorite low-fat ranch salad dressing because I'm far more likely to enjoy eating a green salad if I like the dressing. I tried making the dressing non-fat, but it was terrible, so low-fat it is.

- I have purchased non-fat dairy - milk, sour cream (for dips), cottage cheese. My husband actually just walked in the door with another gallon of non-fat milk. . .I am officially overrun with non-fat dairy.

- I have purchased a new pair of athletic shoes. No, I will not be running right away, but I will begin doing something active each day. It may be as simple as walking my kiddo to the park and chasing him around in the grass, but it's a start and I have to take this one day at a time.

- I have dug out my measuring cups, measuring spoons, and food journals. I am prepared to begin weighing, measuring, and tracking my daily food intake.

- I have read through my old Weight Watchers materials to re-familiarize myself with the program. I kind of feel that I don't have to pay for the program since I already know the program, but I've told two people that I would join with them.


I think I'm prepared to begin my journey. Let me know if you think I'm missing anything that I'll need to help ensure my success. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment