Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sick Babies Are No Fun!

I'm sad to report that my son didn't miraculously improve overnight and he was still sick today.

He had a pretty bad bout with diarrhea in the middle of the night and it kept the two of us up for a bit. He knows to let mama know if he goes poo-poo, so I went to sleep in my own room. I wish I hadn't.

When he finally woke this morning, I walked in his room and the stench slapped me in the face. He had a diaper that was full of loose stool. How long it was there, I have no idea. He howled and cried as I wiped him clean and his bottom and entire groin area was so red that it was almost purple.

He had no energy today and spent the entire day in my arms or laying on my bed. He even took a morning nap, something he hasn't done in ages, in addition to his regular afternoon nap. My son is typically on the go from the moment he wakes up until he falls asleep, so his fatigue is a good sign that he feels poorly. He also has no appetite. He ate 1/4 of a banana, five bites of chicken, six Goldfish crackers, and 1/4 cup of chicken noodle soup today. He normally eats more than this in one snack. His lack of appetite is particularly troublesome to me.

Having a sick baby is so hard. You feel so bad for your ailing little one and you wish that there was some way you could take their sickness away. I adore snuggling and cuddling with my son, but I hate that he felt so bad that he was content to sit still all day.

We did share a special moment today, just before he drifted off to sleep for his afternoon nap. He was staring at me, eyes heavy, and he was touching my face. I whispered, "I love you." And his eyes closed. I think it's so sweet that the last thing he heard before going to sleep was his mama telling him that he's loved.

Thankfully, his diarrhea stopped this afternoon, but he still had a fever when he went to bed tonight. I'm hoping that he'll be back to being himself tomorrow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment