Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Goose Eggs and Foreheads

Some kids are mellow. Some kids will cuddle. Some kids will sit still. Those kids aren't my kid.

My son is busy. He is on the go all day long. And by all day, I mean all day. He's even an active sleeper and I often hear him slamming around in his crib throughout the night.

Of course, very active children are more likely to suffer injuries. He's had more than his fair share of bumps, bruises, scrapes, and scratches. I am not squeamish in the least, but I grew lightheaded and thought I would faint the first time that he bled as a result of an injury. I still see spots at the sight of his blood.

He fell forehead-first on the floor not once, not twice, but three times today. I finally gave up trying to apply a cold-pack to help reduce the swelling and bruising. As I put him to bed, I noticed that he has a terribly angry-looking goose egg right in the middle of his forehead.

Toddlerhood is a time of great exploration and poor coordination. I realize that this is really just the beginning of the injuries that my sweet boy will suffer (I'm sure there will be plenty once he starts playing sports), but I hope that eventually I won't feel so terrible when he's been hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Poor little guy! I keep a stuffed dog in my fridge/freezer... when my monkeys get owies, they are more likely to let me put the doggie on it than an ice pack. It's still a 50 50 shot though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a softish cold pack that has a terry cover. It has a little bear on it and my son loves to grab it whenever I open the freezer. Naturally, he doesn't want anything to do with it when he actually needs it.

    ReplyDelete