Monday, September 13, 2010

Another Sad Birthday

Today is my mother's birthday.  She attended her own mother's memorial service on this day in 2006.  She'll be attending her only son's memorial service tomorrow.  I think that my birthdays have left a lot to be desired, but I suspect she won't want to celebrate anything in September ever again. 

My brother's wife suggested that we go out to dinner tonight to celebrate my mom's birthday.  She rightfully reasoned that my brother wouldn't have wanted us to ignore Mom's birthday.  Though it's painfully obvious that someone important is missing, I hope that we can manage to have a nice time tonight.

* * *

One week ago, my brother was here.  He was enjoying a hamburger with his wife.  He was living, laughing, loving, breathing. . .and now he's gone.  Sitting in his home, I can't help but expect him to walk through the door at any moment.  The door that he'll never walk through again.

Tomorrow is going to be hard.  So very hard.  Pray for the family to be strong so that we might conduct ourselves with honor and dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment