Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shall We Spark a Doob on November 2?

What has me all up in arms over politics right now?  Well, besides the racist attack Loretta Sanchez made against Van Tran and the other Vietnamese immigrants who reside in her district?  Prop 19, of course.

Proposition 19, for my non-Californian friends, is going to legalize marijuana in this state.  Yeah, I've only voted Republican since I was 18-years old. . .save once when I could not bring myself to vote for either candidate.  Yeah, I more closely align myself with conservative versus liberal values.  Yeah, I'm middle-aged, middle-class, and a mother.  I'm married to Captain freaking America and I'm Ms. Law & freaking Order.  How do you assume I feel about Prop 19?

I probably don't feel the way you think I do.

I'll get to that in a moment, but I will assume that we all can agree that prohibitions do not work with much success.  That is, they do not stop the populace from wanting the prohibited product.  Indeed, prohibitions often simply serve to criminalize large swaths of the population.

Based on the numerous lame Propositions that Californians have approved, the voters of this state seem like they aren't worthy of the right to vote.  However, that's merely my opinion. . .apparently this broke-ass state really does require light rail from LA to San Francisco.  It's not like you can fly, take Amtrak, or (worst case scenario) drive their own vehicle, right?  And let's not even start with the gay marriage stuff.

Back to the topic at hand, I say legalize it.  I say legalize all so-called "drugs."  I say let the populace be adults and decide what substances they want to use recreationally.  But I also say to tax and restrict it's use and sell, much like alcohol and tobacco are taxed and restricted.  That means restrict where it can be used, who it can be sold to, and who can sell it.

For the record, I don't have any problem with consenting adults choosing to use alcohol or cigarettes either.  But I do support restrictions of use based on age.  I would also support such a restriction on weed or any other controlled substance.  I realize that age restrictions do not stop all usage by minors, but I do think usage is somewhat limited by such restrictions.  I'm not going to be all sanctimonious here, I had a lot of "fun" with recreational drugs at one time, but developing bodies probably should not be abused by mind-altering substances.

What does legalization do?  Legalization removes much of the black market and crime associated with prohibition.  As a bonus, it would also free up "valuable" space in our incarceration facilities.  Legalization stimulates the economy.  Legalization increases tax revenue.

Keeping it illegal would do what exactly?  I'm waiting for a valid answer. . .

I don't smoke pot.  I don't snort coke.  I sure as heck don't shoot heroin.  But I don't really give a rip if some other adult wants to.  I do what I want to do with my body and you can do what you want to do with yours.

I know, I know, the GOP will revoke my voter registration. . .actually, I'm guessing that they'll take a vote wherever they think they can get it these days!!  So what do you think?  Am I right on or totally off-base?  What are your opinions on this issue?

1 comment:

  1. I dont smoke Pot or do any other drugs anymore except for the occasion adult beverage. I say legalize it and put those restrictions on it too. You are so right. If we legalize it not only would it generate revenue for our state but it would keep more tax dollars from being used to jail the thousand of offenders each year that use, buy or sell these illegal drugs. That in itself will give the state even more money.

    There are less accidents with people on pot than alchol. Now the harsher drugs well, those I am not sure how they would be regulated on the legal limit of intoxication, as say with alcohol, bcause so many of those are totally mind altering and I am sure that the faintest amount is worse than our legal limit on alchol.

    But yeah LEGALIZE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete