Monday, September 20, 2010

You Get What You Give

I received a sympathy card with no return address in the mail today.  The handwriting was familiar and instantly recognizable to me.  For eleven years, I had worked with the woman who addressed the envelope.   I assumed the card was only from her family.  Imagine my surprise when I found that several of my former co-workers included kind condolence notes in the card.  That might not impress some of you, but realize I have not worked with any of them in nearly 2 1/2 years.  To say that I was touched they were thinking of me or praying for my family after I'd been gone so long would be an understatement.

When I was gone, my son was cared for by friends who have at least one child of their own at home.  My husband received a delicious dinner every night, courtesy of more friends with young children at home.  One day he even received two dinners and another friend dropped off dinner the day after I returned home because she thought I might not be up to cooking just yet.  Some of the ladies at my church wanted to deliver meals as well and, upon hearing that meals were covered, asked that my husband call if he needed any help.  My family has been lifted up in prayer by at least two different congregations and in daily prayers by countless friends and family. 

I don't know how I'd be able to put one foot in front of the other if it weren't for the generous care from our friends and family.

Just yesterday afternoon, I was marveling at the love and support I've had since my brother died and a friend replied, "You get what you give."  That's a fantastically succinct way to put it and I really can't add anything to improve her words.  I just hope that I really do live up to, and continue to live up to, that statement in the eyes of my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment