Thursday, September 30, 2010

Something Is Better Than Nothing

I spent quite a bit of time with my doctor yesterday.  I'm embarrassed to report that I'm no longer classified as "overweight."  At first I was like :-) and then he said that I am now just over the threshold for what is considered "obese" and I was like :-(

I've learned from watching television that obese people are lazy, stupid, and sweaty.  They break furniture.  They get out of breath after running up a flight of stairs.  They eat a bucket of fried chicken (or some other unhealthy food) for dinner.  They have trouble bathing properly.  Seriously, I'm one of them now?

Sh*t!

I actually do eat a healthy diet with occasional snack food/junk food.  I drink plenty of water, use non-fat dairy, prefer whole grains, and eat plenty of veggies, and a little fruit.  I know, I know, so why am I obese?  Well, I really, really, really freaking suck at portion sizes.  When I actually measure my portions, I always lose weight.  But guess what?  I don't like measuring every single thing that I put in my mouth.  (No sex jokes please!)

Considering that I'm now obese, I decided that I better start moving my ass and paying attention to portion sizes.  However, in the typical way that life has been giving me the finger lately, my son was awake this morning for about an hour from around 2:00 am until around 3:00 am.  When I say he was awake, I actually mean he was screaming and yelling.  Given that sleep was not really happening last night, I really didn't want to get up this morning.

I dragged myself out of bed and I landed in front of my laptop.  Some of my lab work was already available.  I figured that at least my blood tests probably wouldn't bum me out so I went ahead and viewed the results.  Let's just say that the tests might not say you have a fat ass or anything, but my lipid test revealed that I have just about too much fat in my blood.

Sh*t!

I've had cholesterol problems off and on since I was 19-years old.  Since then, the only time that my blood hasn't had too much cholesterol is when I have been consistently doing cardiovascular exercise.  My cholesterol is on the very high side of normal and I know that working out will lower it.  There's no time like the present, so I dusted off my jogging stroller and grabbed some sneakers.

The kiddo and I headed to a local park that has a 5K loop.  I took a couple glugs of water and we were off.  I was sad to realize that it took me 50 minutes to walk/jog a 5K and I was sadder that I was huffing & puffing like the big, bad wolf by the time I was finished.

I let my son run around one of the play structures for about 30 minutes before we headed home.  While he played, I felt sorry for myself.  My feet were sore, I was unbearably sweaty, and I hate to say it, but I really wanted a hamburger.

In terms of healthy choices, I don't think that I've been the best role model for my son.  After all, I went from being slightly overweight to being considered obese.  All because I eat too much and I don't move enough.  But by turning things around, losing weight, and getting active, I'm being a good role model.  I'm teaching him that it's never too late and you can always choose to improve your health by making better decisions.  I want to be living proof of that fact.

Upon reflection, I don't feel that bad about my time or my effort.  I haven't worked out in months and I haven't been a habitual exerciser in around 3 1/2 years.  I haven't so much as taken a stroll around the block in ages.  Plus, it was hot today; it was around 98 degrees and humidity was high.  I barely had any sleep last night.  I'm friggin' obese and it takes a lot of freaking effort to move my ass.

You know, my time today may have sucked and it may have really taken a lot out of me, but I did it.  Something isn't always something to crow about, but it is always better than nothing.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were doing the weight watchers thing and has lost some weight. I am sorry that you did not get god news yesterday. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been off-track for a couple of months, but my weight had been holding steady. Still too heavy, but at least not gaining. The ultra-sucky thing is that I have gained nearly ten pounds in the last four weeks and those ten pounds are enough to make be technically obese. I know what to do, it's just a matter of doing it.

    October 1, 2010 4:44 PM

    ReplyDelete