Thursday, April 7, 2011

Facebook Brings Unexpected Connections

I found my ex-husband on Facebook.  I feaking found my ex-husband on Facebook!!  I found him and. . .and. . .and I wanted to help him. 

I am a soft touch and, God help me, I still feel for him.  No, I am not in love with him. . . but the love I had for him at one time didn't cease to exist because I no longer wanted to be married to him.  I have regarded him with furious anger to outright indifference for a long time and, over the last several years, I've realized that I want him to have the same happiness that I now experience. 

I don't want anyone to suffer and, when I read of his pain and desperation, I couldn't help but be moved.  I felt his hurt.  I felt his loneliness.  I felt his separation.  I teared up and damn near wept for him and his situation.

And so I reached out to him.

I didn't offer him money or a place to stay or an invitation to get back together.  I offered him hope and encouragement- along with my unsolicited advice.  I thought it was important to tell him that I forgive him and that there is nothing anyone can do that is unforgivable because everything can be forgiven.  He knows this truth, but sometimes we all need the reminder.

I know that I'll regret my kind & loving heart and I kinda feel like a total @sshole for caring at all, but there you go.  I'd rather be the @sshole who is an @sshole for caring too much about people than the @sshole who is the @sshole for not caring at all about others.

No comments:

Post a Comment