Monday, April 4, 2011

Is It Possible. . .

to bleed to death from your vagina?  If so, I must be halfway there. 

Yep, I'm having yet another period.  I think I'm well on my way to winning the contest for the woman who spends the most days on her period.  This is my third period since February 26 (UGH!) and my frequent blood-loss may be one reason why I feel so exhausted and wiped out all the time.  Okay, okay, I felt that way anyhow, but the frequent periods can't possibly help to improve my energy levels.

I might be able to tolerate the frequency (even though that isn't good for fertility), but the quantity of blood-loss is negatively impacting my life.  I can't use my Diva Cup because there is so much, uh, wetness gushing around up there that I can't get it to form a seal.  So I've been forced to use pads. 

How many pads do I use?  I soak through a heavy-duty postpartum pad within an hour if I'm moving around or I can maybe go for two hours if I'm just sitting still.  And it's not just the ridiculously heavy flow that's bothersome, but the clots are starting to freak me the heck out.  They aren't like the size of golf balls or anything, but more like the size of a "shooter" marble.  My periods have sucked for years, but this is a new development and it's pretty disturbing.

I know that the first few cycles after a pregnancy can be wonky, but this is ridiculous.  I loathe going to the doctor unless absolutely necessary and I'd rather not be seen in this condition, but I just contacted my doctor because I can't even have a normal life.  I'm being held hostage by my menstrual cycle. . .I don't think it's a good idea to negotiate with terrorists, but I'll gladly pay the ransom to get my life back!

2 comments:

  1. I have had heavy periods all my life and as I get older, they are only getting worse. I have always had to plan around my cycle and I am very regular at every 28 days. I'm also there with you on the clots, except mine are way larger. I've had tests to make sure I'm okay, and I am going to schedule a NovaSure procedure within the next couple of months simply because I am tired of not being able to do what I want when I want. I hope things go back to normal for you. I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awful, Pam! I've always flowed frequently when I'm not on The Pill and I can live with that, but the volume has gone through the roof and that's unacceptable. I'm at the point where I try not to leave my house on the heaviest days because it's impossible to handle out in public. Seriously, it looks like someone was hacked to death in my pants.

    The extra rub to my situation is that the frequency of these periods could be a big freaking reason why I've been trying to get pregnant for two years now. I KNOW that I've conceived more than just once and those fertilized eggs have just been washed down my tubes (courtesy of Aunt Flo), if you will. How do I know that I've conceived more than just the one time that a pregnancy occurred? I just do. . .I also knew within a week of conceiving my son.

    I'm going on progesterone suppositories this month to aid in lengthening my luteal phase and (hopefully) to help support a healthy & viable pregnancy. Otherwise, I stop them until my next cycle. I've heard that they aren't terribly pleasant and they do have some sucky side effects, but it's worth it if it results in another little babe for this family.

    I hope the NovaSure procedure works for you and that you find some relief soon. I hate that so many women I know are being held hostage by their menstrual cycles. What a bunch of crap that we're all suffering like this in 2011! I agree, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

    ReplyDelete